Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Fashion For A Cause: Breast Cancer Month (October)

Breast cancer is something very close to my heart. Many people don't realize what a big deal it is to me, but my mother actually died of breast cancer when I was 5, and my aunt when I was 6. The reasoning behind this post therefore, is twofold:
1. To educate you (women and men) about breast cancer and staying aware of your body.
2. To show you some of the amazing foundations created against breast cancer, and many of the companies that have teamed up with them in the fight against breast cancer.

First off I'll start with:
WHAT IS BREAST CANCER?
Simply put, breast cancer is an uncontrollable growth of breast cells. This growth can result in a tumor which can either be harmless (benign) or dangerous (malignant). Malignant tumors, if left untreated, can spread to other parts of the body. Which brings me to my original point: I cannot stress how important it is to check yourself for breast cancer, and treat it as a serious concern. Breast cancer has no limits, even men are at risk (though their risk is significantly lower). Breast cancer is also very hard to detect, which only adds to its severity. However, the most common symptoms are those of lumps in the breast, and abnormalities. If you have any concern at all, chances are something is wrong. After all you know your own body better than anyone else.
To learn more about breast cancer click these links: 

My god mother, Bonnie, created an organization in memory of my mother, and is now currently in the process of getting a book published to help the friends of cancer victims. My god mother too had breast cancer, but the difference was her breast cancer went undetected for a while. However, she knew something was wrong and wouldn't give up, so eventually her doctor listened to her and they were able to get rid of her breast cancer!
Here is the link to her organization: Friends and Cancer    

Just one more quick group I would like to mention is GOPiNK. This is an organization created by two girls who attend Rye Country Day School. In the spring I was invited to their fashion show hosted by Bloomingdales. It really inspired both my friend and I to bring GOPiNK to our school. This year we made that dream come true and we are now co-presidents of GOPiNK at our school. You too can make a difference by donating to any of the companies/organizations mentioned in this blog post, or simply by spreading awareness. If you are really feeling motivated, why not e-mail Allie or Erica and ask them how you can start GOPiNK at your school? 
Official Website: GOPiNK Informational Website
Products: GOPiNK Products


Now on to part two of this blog post: FASHION
As previously stated many companies and stores have teamed up with Susan G. Komen to donate money during the month of October funding breast cancer awareness. Click on any of the links below to be taken to the website, and shop till you drop, while feeling good about yourself for making a difference in the breast cancer research world!
Forever 21 Supports Breast Cancer Awareness


xoxo Heather


No comments:

Post a Comment